Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 21: Cornbread Waffles

So I am a little embarrassed about this week's post, not because of what I made, but because I have to admit that I have actually watched a reality TV show :-( For the past couple of months I have been indulging in the guilty pleasure of watching "America's Next Great Restaurant". I have to admit I really enjoy food based shows and this one had the added bonus of people with essentially no restaurant experience trying to convince investors to buy into their restaurant concept. I really thought the grilled cheese guy would go all the way. Anyway, the guy who won got to open three "soul food" restaurants in LA, Minny and NYC which is pretty cool for him. 

Now to the point I was flipping through my mom's People magazine, I only read it for the articles, and there was a recipe for cornbread waffles from the winning restaurant, Soul Daddy. I figured I have to try it not only because I watched the show but also because Jamie and I love waffles and cornbread. 


It is a simple recipe and a nice variation for Sunday breakfast. 
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tsp salt
3 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup oil

Whisk all of the dry ingredients and then add the wet and stir. Cook in a waffle iron and enjoy.


I did not have buttermilk so I used skim milk and added 1 Tsp lemon juice per cup. Also I made 1/2 the recipe but it was a little runny so I added about 1/4 cup of extra flour.


Mark's thoughts: Very yummy waffles a nice way to change up breakfast. Great with maple syrup or honey.


Jamie's thoughts: Liked the texture could have been fluffier.


Luca's thoughts: Since Luca is only 10 months old he could not really tell us what he thought but he did eat all the waffle bits we gave him so will say he liked them. Then again he eats everything we give him so????


Cornbread waffles and maple syrup. South meets north I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment