Sunday, May 1, 2011

Week 18: Thai Dragon Bowl

This week I dug back into the Rebar cookbook (because we just had lunch there) and took a stab at a Dragon Bowl. I have had "Dragon Bowls" at a couple of restaurants and really enjoyed them so I was looking forward to trying it out at home. Here are the ingredients

8 cups veggie stock
3 lemongrass stalks
3 Tbsp minced ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp red curry paste (I used 1 Tbsp but it is up to you)
1 oz palm sugar (I used 1 Tbsp of brown sugar)
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup fish sauce
1 cup coconut milk
1 lime, juiced
1/3 lb rice noodles medium width (I used skinny noodles)
1/2 block firm tofu (I forgot to get tofu so left it out)
4 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
6 oz snow peas (these are not in season so I left them out)
1 bunch scallions, minced
4 tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
1/2 cup Thai basil leaves, torn 
sambal oelek, on the side


Heat the stock and add the lemongrass, ginger and garlic. Let this mixture simmer for 15 mins or so then strain to remove the chunks and add the stock back to the pot. 


Stir curry paste, sugar, soy and fish sauces into the stock and simmer for 5 mins. Add coconut milk and lime juice and continue to simmer. 


Add rice noodles, tofu and lime leaves. Cook until the noodles are tender. At this point you are supposed to add the snow peas and the rest of the ingredients. Serve in large bowls with whatever sides you would like.

In the cookbook they offer numerous suggestions for variations, etc for the dragon bowl. I decided to roast a sweet potato and pan fry some shitake mushrooms. For the sweet potato I made a simple sauce with the following
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp ginger
1 garlic clove, minced


I cubed the sweet potato and tossed them in with all the ingredients. I roasted this in the oven until the sweet potatoes were cooked. 

For the mushrooms I sliced them and throw them into a frying pan with some olive oil. Once they were just abut cooked I added 1-2 Tbsp of soy sauce and that was it.

Mark's thoughts: I very nice meal which was quite easy to whip off. I think it will become a regular meal for us I will just change the toppings for time to time.

Jamie's thoughts: Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment