Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Week 19: Nutella brownies and Mothers Day

I have a couple of recipes to talk about this week but I forgot to take some pics but I am sure you have seen brownies and frittata before. I will start with yummy Nutella Brownies I made. I found this recipe on www.BigOven.com which has a handy app for my iPhone. 

Here is what you will need. 
1/2 cup flour
1/4tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup of Nutella (how could you go wrong with a cup of Nutella)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup of melted butter, cooled slightly


As you can see from the ingredients these are low fat brownies;-)

Preheat the oven to 325'C and either line a baking pan with parchment of coat with butter. 
Combine the salt and flour in a bowl. 
In another bowl beat the eggs, Nutella, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Alternatively add flour mix and butter and continue to mix.
Scrape into pan and bake for approx 30-35 mins. A toothpick should come out with some crumbs.


We had our brownies with vanilla and chocolate swirl ice cream. To help us enjoy the brownies we had our friends from the Son, Sea and Stars blog over for dinner. Here is what everyone thought.


Mark's thoughts: With a cup of Nutella and 1/2 cup of butter there is no possible way this recipe would fail.


Jamie's thoughts: She enjoyed them but did not like to hear about the cup of Nutella and 1/2 cup of butter.


Son's thoughts: Really tasty.


Sea's thoughts: 85 thumbs up.


Star's thoughts: Well Star is not even 2 yet so it is hard for her to tell us what she thought but since she was climbing all over her mom to get at the bowl of brownie and ice cream I will take that as a good thing.


Yarmay's thoughts: 2 tongues up.


AJB's thoughts: Down home good.




This past week was also Jamie's first mothers day so I wanted to make something new for breakfast. I found a yummy looking mushroom and poblano pepper frittata on Epicurious and thought we would try it out. Here is what it called for

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces assorted mushrooms (I used crimini shiitake), thinly sliced
1 large fresh poblano chile, stemmed, seeded, thinly sliced into strips
1 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped chives
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 large eggs
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/3 cup crumbled low-fat or fat-free feta

This was a pretty standard frittata, I pan fried the mushrooms, pepper and scallions and then added the egg mixture. The egg mixture included the eggs, cilantro and cumin. Once this was cooked on the one side I put it under the broiler to finish it off. I added the feta about half way through the cooking under the broiler to slightly melt it.


Mark's thoughts: I felt that 1/2 a tsp might have been too much cumin for a mild flavoured frittata otherwise it was a very nice dish.


Jamie's thoughts: She seemed to enjoy it although I did not ask for her thoughts directly so???

No comments:

Post a Comment