Monday, June 27, 2011

Week 25: Garlic Scape Pesto

I have a quick confession to make about this week's post, I have tried to make garlic scape pesto before but have never had any success until now. Several years ago while Jamie and I were touring around the Okanagan we stopped by to see our friends Niki and Nick. While we were there they made some yummy garlic scape pesto. It was our first introduction to garlic scapes and since then we have bought them whenever they are at our local farmers market. The problem has been that every time I have tried to recreate the pesto it has flopped. The taste has usually been there but the texture is all wrong. So this past week I spent some time talking to the nice lady at the farmers market and she gave me some good advice on how to select the scapes, etc for pesto. 

Here is the recipe I used it is a garlic scape and almond pesto and it was delicious. 
10 garlic scapes, finely chopped
1/3 to 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (to taste and texture)
1/3 cup slivered almonds (I used whole almonds that I roughly chopped and toasted)
About 1/2 cup olive oil
Salt to taste

Prepare like any other pesto. Add everything to a processor and blend. 

Mark's thoughts: Finally! It tasted good and had the correct texture.

Jamie's thoughts: Delicious! Luca liked it too.


Before I go I want to give a quick shout out to Niki's farm Rootdown Organic they are in Pemberton and you can find them at the Farmers Market on Sundays in Kits.

No comments:

Post a Comment