Monday, June 27, 2011

Week 24: Tex-Mex potato salad

Last week the Vancouver Sun had several potato salad recipes that looked pretty good. Now for a lot of people potato salad is nothing new but I am personally NOT a fan of potato salad and I have never made one and have only eaten it on the odd occasion. The exception to this would be the super yummy octopus and potato salad we used to get in Italy which I hope to recreate this summer;-) 

So this week I made the Tex-Mex mixed mini potato salad. Here are the ingredients

1 1/2 pounds mixed mini potatoes
1/3 cup olive oil 
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce (I used Frank's Hot Sauce)
Salt to taste
3/4 cup fresh corn kernels
1/2 cup diced celery (I left this out, I am not a fan of celery in a salad)
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 

Cut each potato lengthwise and quarter. Gently boil until just tender. Drain and cool to room temperature. 
Place the oil, cumin, garlic, chili powder, lime zest and juice, orange juice and hot sauce in a large bowl and whisk to combine. 
Add potatoes and the rest of the ingredients and toss to cover. 


Mark's thoughts: Not being a potato salad lover I was not sure about this but it turned out quite nice. Another good summer salad especially when my burlap sack potatoes are ready.


Jamie's thoughts: Nice change from regular potato.


I really enjoyed the colours in the salad and the freshly poured Black and Tan in the lower part of the image;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment