Sunday, January 16, 2011

Week 2: Burned soup :-(

So it was my plan to have 2 recipes to enter this week. First, I made very yummy Harira (Moroccan Chickpea Soup). I got the recipe off Epicurious (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moroccan-Chickpea-Soup-104356). It was simple, pretty quick and very nice for a cold rainy day. Instead of using capellini or fine egg noodles I used orzo which seemed to work quite well although it did get a little squishy when we ate it for leftovers. I also added some feta to mine and it just added that little bit of something extra. There are a couple of pictures below.

Mark's thoughts: great winter meal that could be whipped together with stuff you probably already have in your house/fridge. We will eat this again for sure.

Jamie's thoughts: tasty but needs more sauce as it was more like a stew than a soup

Ali's thoughts: she want to have it over some rice or something again because it was thicker than a normal soup

The second soup I planned on making was a Tuscan Farro and Bean soup. This is a classic cold weather Tuscan dish which Jamie and I had been wanted to try. So I did a little search and found a good looking recipe again on Epicurious (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tuscan-Farro-and-Bean-Soup-235425). We drove all over town getting the ingredients and I was stoked to make a bean and barley soup. It all started well, I got the dried beans sorted. I got all the ingredients ready and started cooking. I got to the final major step I had blended the soup added the barley and was ready to go. The problem was a then sat down and started looking at vacation options for Jamie, Luca and I completely forgetting that the recipe clearly said "stirring frequently" then next thing I knew I could smell this awful burning smell and that was it. Even though it was only slightly burnt to the bottom of the pot "the funk" had permeated the entire soup and it was a lost cause. It was a sad moment for 52 weeks, 52 eats but fortunately I had already made something new so I was still in the clear. 

On to next week I guess...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment