Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Weel 14: The "real" week 14 post

So after consulting the calendar I realized that I had got a week ahead of myself with my postings so this week is actually week 14. Not that is really matters, I guess, but might as well stay on track. This week I made a yummy Kabocha Squash Cake with Brown Sugar Cream once again from Epicurious. Here is what I did

Brown sugar cream
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
3 large egg whites

I did not have enough whipping cream so I fudged it with the help of my super handy Merillat app on my iPhone which gives you all these substitutions, etc for cooking. I basically added some butter to some milk.

Dissolve the gelatin in 1Tbsp of water and let it sit for 10 mins. While the gelatin is sitting around stir the cream and sugar in a pot over medium heat until the sugar is all dissolved. Add egg whites and whisk until the mixture thickens. They say about 12 mins I whisked for about 10 and was feed up so I quit. Add gelatin and whisk some more. Pour mixture into a bowl and chill overnight. 

Now for the cake. 
2 cups 3/4-inch cubes peeled seeded kabocha squash (from one 3-pound squash)
1 cup whole milk
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
6 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup lager (mild-flavored beer)
1 large egg
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Add the squash, milk, vanilla bean and vanilla bean seeds to a pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Partially cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until squash is very tender (20 mins). Drain and puree squash. This makes a lot of puree, so freeze the extra for another day.


Place 1/2 cup of the puree into a bowl. Add sugar, beer and egg and blend. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt and beat to blend. Evenly distribute mixture among six 3/4 cup greased ramekins and cook at 375'C for 18-20 mins. 


I doubled this up and used larger ramekins and it still worked well. I also popped the cream sauce in the microwave just before we ate the cakes to heat is up a little.


Mark's thoughts: A nice surprising light dessert. The cream was excellent although I would even eat the cake without it. 


Jamie's thoughts: She liked the cake and cream but thought that it could use some more cinnamon.


Sherry's thoughts: Yummy, loved the cream sauce.


Josh's thoughts: Delicious, he could not even tell it was made with squash;-)


Cakes just out of the oven waiting to be eaten.


No comments:

Post a Comment